Rules and regulations
1. Members are required to produce their membership card when entering the Library.
2. Members who visit the Library are required to sign in the attendance register provided at the Security desk indicating their membership number, the time of arrival and the time of departure.
3. Visitors to the Library are required to obtain the permission of the Librarian to use the Library.
4. Readers must deposit their belongings such as books, notes etc, at the Security point before entering the Library.
5. Valuable articles or cash should not be left at the security point. Library staff will not be responsible for the loss of such material.
6. Library Membership cards are valid for a period of one year from the date of issue and should be surrendered to the Library before the expiry date for renewal.
7. The membership cards and borrowing tokens are nontransferable. The holders of borrowing tokens are responsible for any library material issued under such tokens.
8. Replacement of a lost membership card may be obtained on payment of Rs. 100/=. Request for replacements should be made in writing addressed to the Director, PGIM, along with a stamp sized photograph.
9. Members should notify the Librarian of any change in their addresses.
10. Members are not permitted to take personal property, apart from papers to take down notes, into the library without the Librarian’s prior permission.
11. PGIM student members are required to provide a library clearance certificate to the PGIM for Board certification.
12. SILENCE should be strictly observed in the Library.
13. Seats in the Library may not be reserved or removed by the readers.
14. Readers are not allowed to hold discussions inside the Library.
15. Consumption of food and drink is strictly forbidden in the Library.
- A borrowing membership token will be issued to the members. These tokens can be used to borrow books from Colombo PGIM Library.
- Books which are not classified as reference may be borrowed for a period of two weeks by teachers of the PGIM and one week by postgraduate trainees.
- Books on loan may be renewed only once, for a period of one week.
- Books classified as Overnight Reference will be issued after 4.00 pm. These should be returned before 9.00 am on the next working day. Members who fail to return overnight reference items on schedule on more than three occasions will loose this facility. Members of the teaching staff are entitled to a loan period of three days.
- Overdue materials are subject to a fine of Rs. 20/= per day, up to two weeks from the due date; from the 21st day onwards the fine will be Rs. 30/= per day. A fine of, Rs. 25/= per day will be levied on Reference books not retuned on time.
- Damaged/lost material: if a book is damaged or lost, it should be replaced or the current cost of the book plus 25% of the cost should be paid to the library, within three months.
- Members who retain books for more than three months or who do not pay fines will loose their membership and will be liable for any arrears. Their membership will be reinstated only upon the approval of the Director/ PGIM, and after the borrowed books are returned.